[CLAIMED] Contributor Invite: Test Features in MediaWiki

About this Contributor Invite:

• Task Area: Testing
  • Effort rating: 1/5
  • Skills required: Must be a FreedomBox user

Description of the Problem:

MediaWiki is an app in the FreedomBox app menu that can be used to host a wiki. MediaWiki has a large community of developers and a long history, so it has many optional features and over 1,000 extensions. The FreedomBox team hasn’t tested all of the optional features and extensions in the version of MediaWiki that is available within FreedomBox. The team can’t recommend these MediaWiki features to users until they have been tested, so we need help testing them.

What we ask of you:

• Install the FreedomBox system and install MediaWiki on your FreedomBox
  • Within MediaWiki, test the following features:
    • Image file upload and embedding
    • Audio file upload and embedding/playing
    • Video file upload and embedding/playing
    • Math formulae
    • Code syntax highlighting
    • RSS feeds of changes
    • Image gallery
  • Report back on whether or not those features worked. If any of them didn’t work, please tell us what happened when you tested them. Please post your report to the issue page in Gitlab (link below).

Link to the issue in GitLab: https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/plinth/issues/1267

How to claim this Contributor Invite:

Do you want to accept this invitation to contribute? If so, follow these steps:

1. Comment on this forum post indicating that you would like to claim the invite. This will prevent multiple people from working on the same issue at the same time.
  2. Register an account with our GitLab instance and begin making your contributions on the GitLab issue page for this task. You can use the comment section of this forum post to ask questions, but the bulk of the development discussion should happen on GitLab.

Resources:

If you need help with this issue, please feel free to ask for it from members of our core team:

• Sunil Mohan Adapa (@sunil): Lead Developer & Code Reviewer
  • Joseph Nuthalapati (@njoseph ): DevOps Engineer, Developer, & Code Reviewer
  • James Valleroy (@jvalleroy) : Release Manager, Developer, & Code Reviewer

Hi, I would like to claim this contributor invite. I have already an account with salsa gitlab (chkmue-guest).

Could you maybe give me an example how the test reports should look like?

Thanks Chris

1 Like

@chkmue Thanks for claiming it, Chris! I have marked it as [CLAIMED] in the title.

Sure. We are looking for verification that these features work, and any additional details you think we should know. You could approach it writing your report in a structure like this:

Test 1: Image file upload and embedding

• Did the feature work? [yes/no]
  • If no, can you tell us what happened when you tried to test the feature?
  • Was there anything about the user experience that could be improved? [e.g. was it fast/slow? difficult?]
  • Did MediaWiki or your FreedomBox crash at any point during the test?
  • In your personal opinion, is this feature ready for use by a casual FreedomBox user? If not, why?

And you can answer those questions for each feature you test.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any more questions.

Hi Danny, yes that helps! Thanks a lot!

I’ll start working on it in my Christmas holidays and post the reports on the gitlab issue page.

1 Like

Sounds good, Chris! Thanks a lot and happy holiday!

Thanks! Same for you, too! :slight_smile:

Hi!
I completed my tests and added them to its gitlab issue page. In case there are any questions or additional tests needed, let me know.