A20 OLinuXino MICRO not booting FB image

Problem Description
I decided to turn a A20 OLinuXino MICRO into another Freedombox. The Freedombox image for the A20 OLinuXino MICRO does not seem to boot on it.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Take one 2014 A20 OLinuXino MICRO (with attached LCD-OLinuXino-7" touchscreen). This was booting Debian from ancient vfat 4GB MicroSD card, so I’m pretty sure the hardware’s good.
  2. Download the stable-free_buster Freedombox image for the A20 OLinuXino MICRO.
  3. Unpack, check the checksum, all seems well.
  4. Plug a new 8GB MicroSD card into a USB converter, plug said converter into the USB slot on desktop or laptop.
  5. Carefully check which drive it is.
  6. Write image using:
    dd bs=1M if=/home/[blah_blah_path]/freedombox_Olinuxino/freedombox-stable-free_buster_a20-olinuxino-micro-armhf.img of=/dev/sd[x] conv=fdatasync status=progress
    …where the bits in square brackets are replaced with the appropriate strings for the desktop/laptop system.
  7. Unmount new FB card, plug it into the Olimex board, plug board into power and ethernet.

Expected Results
I expected it to boot, and the LED indicating that it had booted to come on, and the screen to come up with a command-line interface.

Actual results
It does not boot. The lights showing that it is connected to the net did come on.

Further attempts
I belatedly saw this Freedombox setup video tutorial, and I thought I might have powered the board up first, and then plugged it into the internet. So I overwrote any differences from the original on the card (I think there were none), and started over, careful to plug into the internet first, and left it overnight to be sure it had lots of time. It still did not boot.

If I take out the FB card, and insert the old Debian card (which may be an old version of the Olimex-supplied Debian image), the board boots just fine. If I do not insert any card it boots Android (!). The obvious next workaround is to install plain Debian on the card and then install Freedombox, but I’d like to figure out why the specialized image is not working. Any ideas?

Has anyone successfully booted this image?